Collagen is the most prevalent protein in the human body. You can find collagen in many different parts such as your muscles and bones. Collagen is naturally created by the body but as we age, the levels can get depleted. This can then create issues for you tendons, wrinkle your face faster and bring other collagen-related diseases. It is important to maintain and keep healthy collagen levels.
There are many types of collagen in the body. A total of 16 that are classed by types. The most prevalent ones are the collagen of type 1, 2 and 3 which represent more than 80% of the entire collagen in the body. Every collagen types has a different function and plays an important role. Different types of collagen can be found in aliments.
Below a list of some of the most important types of collagen and their function in the human body:
• Collagen type 1: this is known as the strongest and most prevalent type of collagen in the body. Type I collagen is made of different fibers that are part of the human body and our organs. This include our skin, ligaments and tendons. When you hurt yourself and your skin, the collagen of type 1 plays an important role in the healing process. It helps the skin remain elastic and holds our body so it doesn’t tear.
• Collagen type 2: this type of collagen is primarily concerned with cartilage and how it is built in our bodies. Cartilage is a flexible connective tissue which is very present during our infancy and progressively gets replaced by bones. Type 2 collagen is important as it is beneficial to reduce, prevention and help with pains that can come up with time such as arthritis and joint pain.
• Collagen type 3: this protein type is an important element of the cellular pattern that is found in our skin and other important organs. type 3 collagen is also the foundation of the blood vessels in our heart. Low level of type 3 collagen proteins has been linked to issues with blood vessels than can have serious health consequences.
• Collagen type 5: collagen of type 5 is needed by our bodies to create the tissue found in woman’s placenta as well as what we use for our cells’ surfaces. The woman’s placenta is critical has it is needed for healthy pregnancy.
• Collagen type 10: collagen of type 10 plays an important role in the articular cartilage as well as how our bones gets formed over time. It is known to play a part in the healing process of bone fractures as well repairing specific set of joints for us.
As explained previously, there are many other types of collagen present in our body but those seem to play a less critical role. Collagen can be found in the laments we eat and nutrition and proper diet is an important way to replenish our collagen levels.
Aliments that are high in proteins are usually a good source of collagen. Meats such as beef and chicken, fish and egg are usually the prime suspect. Each of these aliments can bring different types of collagen to our body and bring us different nutritional and health benefits:
• Collagen from beef mostly offers collagen of types 1 & 3 and can help your muscles stay stronger and even train your body how to create its own collagen over time. Bovine collagen comes from cows and more specifically from their bones, skin, and muscles.
• Collagen from fish is mostly of type 1 and is known to be rapidly absorbed by our body. Type 1 collagen is the most prevalent collagen type in the body and has many different benefits for your organs, digestion and skin among other advantages.
• Collagen from chicken is mostly of type 2 which helps you build long-lasting cartilage in your body. It can help with your joint health.
• The collagen derived from egg and more specifically from egg shell membrane collagen (the whites of eggs including their shells) contains mostly type 1 collagen. It helps the body with creating connective tissue and build strength, body and muscle mass and helping the body be more flexible and stretchable.
As we can see, collagen plays a critical role for our health and body. We need to constantly make sure we have enough of it and also use it for its anti-aging property. Codeage is happy to offer different types of collagen-related product to help you build your collagen level and get the precise types of proteins that you need.