The mango, often dubbed the "king of fruits," is an exotic and delightful treat loved by millions across the globe. From its luscious taste to its alluring fragrance, the mango is truly a fruit that stands out in a crowd. But what sets it apart from other fruits isn't just its taste; it's the plethora of health benefits and nutritional value that it offers.
In this article, we delve into the nutritional profile of mangoes, their relationship with wellness and health, and the emerging trend of mango-based supplements.
The nutritional value of mango
At first glance, mangoes might seem like just another sweet, tropical fruit. However, beneath their vibrant exterior lies a treasure trove of nutrients that can significantly improve your overall health. A single cup of mango may provide up to:
- 100% of the daily recommended intake of vitamin C
- 35% of the daily recommended intake of vitamin A
- 12% of the daily recommended intake of fiber
- 25% of the daily recommended intake of vitamin B6
In addition, mangoes are packed with other essential vitamins and minerals, such as potassium, magnesium, and copper, all of which contribute to its status as a superfruit.
Mango's relationship with wellness and health
The vitamins and minerals found in mangoes make them an ideal fruit for promoting wellness and overall health. Some of the primary health benefits of mangoes include:
- Immune system support: The high levels of vitamin C found in mangoes may play a role in supporting the immune system, promoting the production of white blood cells, and supporting the body against harmful bacteria.*
- Eye health: Mangoes are rich in vitamin A, which is essential for supporting healthy vision and might play a role in age-related macular degeneration.*
- Digestive health: The fiber content in mangoes may help to promote a healthy digestive system by preventing constipation and maintaining regular bowel movements.* Additionally, the presence of the digestive enzyme amylase may aid in breaking down complex carbohydrates, making them easier to digest.
- Heart health: The potassium and magnesium found in mangoes may work together to support healthy blood pressure levels, which in turn contributes to overall heart health.*
- Antioxidant properties: Mangoes are packed with antioxidants, such as quercetin, mangiferin, and gallic acid, that may help to neutralize free radicals and protect the body against oxidative stress and chronic diseases.
As the health benefits of mangoes have become more widely recognized, the market for mango-based supplements has grown exponentially. These supplements can come in various forms, such as powders, capsules, and tablets, and often target specific wellness concerns.
Some popular mango-based supplements include:
- Mango seed extract: Rich in antioxidants, mango seed extract is commonly used for weight management and for cholesterol control.*
- Mango leaf extract: With its potential anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, mango leaf extract is often used to promote cardiovascular health.*
- African mango extract: Derived from the seeds of the African mango tree, this supplement is sometimes used to support healthy weight management and blood sugar control.*
The mango is undoubtedly a superfruit, boasting a wide range of health benefits due to its impressive nutritional profile. By incorporating this delicious fruit into your diet or exploring mango-based supplements, you can improve your overall wellness and give your body the nutrients it needs to thrive. As with any supplement, it is essential to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new regimen.